Adaptations for the Disabled

Tamar is committed to helping older residents and those with disabilities.  Your home should be a safe and secure place for you to live that meets your needs.  We want to help you to remain independent and this includes making changes to your home.

There are several ways that we can help depending on your needs and the type of property you live in.  Where you have a long term illness or disability we may be able to adapt your home to meet your needs.

Minor Adaptations

Does your home need a simple change that would make a big difference to you?  So long as the cost of the work will cost less than £500 we can help by fitting some things for you, such as;

  • Grab rails and stair rails
  • Door thresholds
  • Disabled parking bays (not on the highway)
  • Lever Taps
  • Flashing doorbells
  • Key Safes

We use our own contractors to carry out this work and it can usually be done very quickly with no assessment necessary.  If you think you would benefit from a minor adaptation please call us on 01752 250902.

Major Adaptations

We can also carry out some major adaptations such as;

  • Over bath showers
  • Access ramps
  • Charging points for an electric scooter

Before any major work can proceed Tamar will need to assess whether remaining in your home is the best option for you.  Generally, if the work will cost less than £1,500 Tamar can carry out the work ourselves.  However, for any work that will cost more than £500 you will need to be assessed by an Occupational Therapist.  We can help you to access this service.

More Complex Work

Where your home would need more complex work, an assessment by an Occupational Therapist is always needed.  This might be for;

  • Walk in showers
  • Stair lifts
  • Through floor lifts
  • Changes to the internal layout
  • Extensions

You may also need a visit from a surveyor to see whether the work is practical and reasonable.  We will also talk to you about whether adapting your home or moving somewhere more suitable is the best option.

Funding major work like this (over £1,500) comes from the local authority who will make any final decision about whether the work can go ahead or not.  Sometimes the work will also need planning permission.  For some major work you may need to move out for a short period

Because of the scope of major works, these can take some time to arrange.  We will work with the Occupational Therapist and the local authority to ensure things go as smoothly as possible but it can often take some time to complete major work.

Moving home

In some cases adapting your home may not be the best option and Tamar may ask you to consider moving to a more suitable home.  For example if you need a level access shower but live in a first floor flat we may ask you to move to a ground floor flat.  We know that this can be a big decision, especially if you have lived in your home for a number of years.  If you are asked to move we will support you to make the applications and find a home more suitable to your needs.


Tamar will have to give our permission for adaptations.  We will refuse permission where

  • You have a probationary tenancy
  • You do not have a long term disability
  • You are a shared owner
  • You are seeking to move home
  • The aid is portable
  • The home is a family home and you are under occupying the home

Tamar will consider adaptations to Rentplus homes, but would require the permission of Rentplus UK.  If there are any structural changes required or if the adaptation would reduce the value of the property permission may not be given.